Tuesday, September 6, 2011

~Art History~

Last week we spent the class period discussing art that dated back to 3 million years ago. Art that was made by creatures that aren’t even considered humans. The lecture broke boundaries for me, however, it was so much information in such a short amount of time. It is hard to really soak up the details of a period of time and all the incredible art and people from that era. I was first fascinated by the Egyptian art and their beautiful abilities to carve such detail. It was interesting to think about the fact that most of the graceful statues and wall art was most likely covered in paint. It creates such a different aesthetic to add color. It is amazing to also think about their awareness of the form of the body being so long ago. The next art that really grabbed by attention was done by Hildegard. I related most to her designs and can appreciate it so much because I suffer from migraines and the aura, while not seeing the kinds of creatures she seems to have witnessed. I am hoping to learn more about her, even if it is just on my own time. I am not as into classic European art. While it is beautiful and skilled I like art that is more unconventional, and more absurd than that of portraits. The lecture from last Tuesday just went to fast for me to really retain much of the detail that was being expressed and hopefully we spend more one on one time with certain types of arts and artists. I appreciate the overview to demonstrate the vast differences in art and culture over such a long period of time, however crave way more detail!

No comments:

Post a Comment